In this post, I am raising some questions about this important ritual for Brahmins and it is my intention to find the answers as well. If you have any responses, please share them with others in the comments field.
1. Why this upakarma?
2. Yajurveda upakarma is popularly known as Avani avittam and sama veda upakarma normally falls on vinayagar chaturthi. What about Rig veda and Atharvana veda upakarmas?
3. What is the significance of Avani Avittam combination (month and nakshatiram) for Yajurveda upakarma?
4. Today is Aadi Avittam and yet Yajurveda upakarma is performed. How come?
5. There are different kinds of sacred threads “poonals” viz single, double and triple strands. What is the difference?
6. During Yajurveda upakarma we perform different “tharpanam”. What is the reason for doing them together in public?
7. What is the significance of repeating “kamokarishith manyuthakarishith” 108 times during upakarma?
8. Was upakarma always meant to be samashti (in groups) or was it more for convenience?
Looking forward to knowing more on these lines!!